Bored in Space origins (Part 1)

About a year ago I started a new comic with characters I had been working on for a few years. I'd been working up to writing a story with these characters, by exploring situations through one-panel comics. I was walking a delicate balance of carefully developing these characters and being too precious with them, scared to actually develop them further.


After the single panel experiments, I tried a mini-comic with the characters of about 12 pages. At this stage, I was still unsure who these characters were aimed at. Was it going to be an all-ages wholesome adventure or perhaps adult orientated with swearing and the use of mind-altering substances? I decided on the latter for the mini-comic. The mini was meant to be part of the mini-comic of the month, however, I missed my deadline by a long shot and it never came to fruition. The comic itself worked out OK, but still didn't feel up to the high standard I wanted out of these characters.

Then in late 2019, I picked up an iPad pro. I'd been using procreate already on a regular iPad, but I was limited by how many layers I could have in a high-resolution file. The iPad Pro allowed me to have 15 layers on an 800 dpi file. This sounds like a lot but was just enough to work with separate layers for things like panels, letting, pencils, inks, colour shading etc. It took me around 4-6 months to start feeling comfortable with a drawing process on the iPad. A process where I could say the end result actually matched what I was capable of doing with physical media. Seeing what was possible I decided to try and draw a comic page using the Bored in Space characters. Not only that this was going to be full colour...

More in Part 2 tomorrow.

Comments

Thanks for reading...

Comments are always welcome. To subscribe via RSS, click here or sign up for my new publications' newsletter.

Popular Posts

Creating Screen tone effect in Photoshop

Making an ePub (Part One)

Make your Comic into an ePub